Tuesday 13 November 2012

Assessment item 1

What is social networking?

At this point I don't have a very well formed idea of social networking.  I expect my definition here will be quite simplistic and a starting point for development. 

Using technology to communicate and be part of online communities.
 

Current social networking sites

  1. Several Wikis for work, personal, study and church purposes.
  2. A blog I created at the beginning of my Masters for ETL401
  3. Drop box - an online cloud storage system for work purposes.
  4. Twitter - created as a requirement for a teaching workshop.  I have not used it at all.

Expectations from INF506

To become educated and experienced in various forms of social networking.  I am astounded and mystified by the explosion in the popularity in social networking sites.  I do not understand the attraction.  Yet it is used by so many and I have no idea what I am missing out on.  Some workmates tell me it is useful for keeping on top of current professional trends and research. 

The fact is that social networking is becoming a normal part of many lives, and it is these people who will be coming into libraries.  If I am to be working in the industry where the clientele's main form of preferred communication is social networking, then I need to understand and use these forms as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment