Wednesday 6 February 2013

A foray into the world of Wikis


Earlier in this subject I started researching the use of Wikis in education which I would like to document as an example of my digital journey.

I became interested in November 2012 in how teachers were using Wikis with students and for what reasons.  It began with a trawl of the internet for Wikis used with primary school students.  I wanted quality examples and so filtered accordingly.  Here is a bit of a summary of what I found and who I contacted.
I learnt quite a bit.

Wikis I found and things I learnt


Kelly Jordan and Kathleen Morris  

Leopold Primary school Victoria

I found these ladies very early on and contacted them, only to be told their pages were blogs and not Wikis.  How embarrassing.  But a learning experience for me.


 Natalie Bernasconi. 
One of the co-creators of Digital-ID.  Emailed 30th December 2012 through gmail but not reply. No direct email.

St Francis Xavier Community school


Canadian, Manitoba. Despite emails there were no replies. 


paulaenglisheso. 
English for ESO andBachillerato. Could not find a name for teachers on the wiki so I  sent a request to join the wiki late December.  She emailed me back and told me that there is a space in wikispaces where you can email the wiki creators – I didn’t know that! She was very willing to share and her replies are included this blog - "Spanish Teacher and her Wiki", posted above on Wednesday 6th February 2013.


Brad Edwards – Canadian exchange teacher
A teacher from South Australia on exchange in Canada.  He had set up a partnership wiki – one in Canada and one with his home school and exchange partner in Australia. After searching for the creator of the Wiki and locating his email address on his Australian school site, I emailed Brad and he was most happy to share his experiences and knowledge.  Most of his reply is included in this blog - "A reply from a wiki creator" posted above on February 6th 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment