Friday 1 February 2013

Easing the way


One thing I have struggled with during INF506 is quite a level of anxiety about using new online tools.  Also, I have found that although I have engaged with these tools, it has taken quite a long time to use them effectively or understand their practical applications. 

This led me to another thought.  As a TL I will be introducing online tools to staff and working with staff in PD sessions.  Undoubtedly, they too will experience anxiety and low levels of use as I did.  I need to remember this and find ways to ease the way so that staff can both use the tool effectively and not be hampered by apprehension. 

How wonderful to therefore find out that there are research tested systems that have been proven to reduce both the discomfort around innovations and increase their effective use, such as the Concerns Based Adoption Model (Hall, 1974).  This model is a practical series of levels that deal simultaneously with each participant’s Stages of Concern  (SEDL, 2012b) while simultaneously moving staff through increasing Levels of Use (SEDL, 2012c). It also ensures new innovations are used at the most beneficial levels possible through Innovation Configuration (SEDL, 2012a). 

I have become very familiar with CBAM and have saved many resources that I know I can use when I become a TL. 

 

Hall, G. (1974) The Concerns-Based Adoption Model: A developmental conceptualisation of the adoption process within educational institutions. Retrieved March 25 from http://eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED111791.pdf

SEDL (2012) Introduction to the Concerns-Based Adoption Model.  In Concerns Based Adoption Model (CBAM).  Retrieved 2nd February 2013 from http://www.sedl.org/cbam/videos.cgi?movie=Intro

SEDL (2012) Stages of Concern.  In Concerns Based Adoption Model (CBAM).  Retrieved 2nd February 2013 from http://www.sedl.org/cbam/videos.cgi?movie=SoC

SEDL (2012) Levels of Use.  In Concerns Based Adoption Model (CBAM).  Retrieved 2nd February 2013  from http://www.sedl.org/cbam/videos.cgi?movie=LoU

No comments:

Post a Comment