Tuesday 1 January 2013

Facebook exploration


Ok so to be perfectly honest I have been quite resistant about using Facebook.  With all the stories at our school about teachers being harassed by students and parents on their Facebook page, students finding teacher addresses on Facebook and trashing houses, school administration warning us not to friend anybody on Facebook, it all seemed like a dangerous area to go.  And so I just avoided it. 

But INF506 has forced me on.  I have invented another email address so it can’t be linked to my work email and up until now all I had been doing was checking what was happening on the INF506 page.  There was no way I was going to use it for anything social. 

Until today.  A study buddy doing the same course had been harassed by her kids to ‘friend’ them on her Facebook account.  So I ventured into my profile and started searching for my family.  Found my two brothers.  Found a cousin.  Sent a request for friendship. 

Then found how to change my profile.  And here I stopped and thought about what information I wanted to put on here.  I want to be identifiable to my family but I don’t want my students searching for me and finding me.  Ahh, the concerns of digital literacy kicking in.  And found the button that makes things public or private or anything in-between. 

So now, for the first time I have something in my profile apart from just my name.  Let’s see if I end up with any friends.  And if I end up keeping this account once INF506 has finished. 

The question is – have I been converted to Facebook? 

No comments:

Post a Comment